12005 Sunrise Valley Drive
Reston, VA 20191
- Business & Commercial Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
Emily enjoys working with clients throughout all phases of the franchise life cycle. Her practice focuses on developing and expanding franchise systems both nationally and internationally, franchise registration and disclosure, corporate transactions, and mergers and acquisitions involving franchise businesses. Emily strives to provide clients of all sizes with valuable legal counsel regarding franchise regulatory compliance, system and brand standards, and franchise relationship issues, among other areas of franchise and distribution law.
Prior to joining Plave Koch, Emily was an Associate Attorney at an Am Law 100 firm in Denver, Colorado, practicing in its Global Franchise & Supply Network Group. Her practice focused on structuring franchise programs for domestic and international growth and expansion; reviewing, drafting, and updating franchise disclosure documents; drafting and negotiating franchise agreements and related commercial agreements; advising clients on exemption-based franchising arrangements; and representing franchisors and franchisees in alternative dispute resolution and in litigation.
Emily began her career as an Associate Attorney in the Intellectual Property Group of a mid-sized law firm based in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Emily's intellectual property experience includes representing clients of all sizes in domestic and international trademark and copyright counseling, registration and litigation. She also drafted, reviewed and negotiated services and technology agreements, including software licensing agreements. Emily worked on numerous technology contracting projects for a multi-billion dollar retail company operating supermarkets and e-commerce businesses throughout Europe and the United States and also represented franchise systems, pet food companies, universities, and manufacturing and service companies in domestic and international intellectual property matters.
A Central Pennsylvania native, Emily currently resides in Colorado.
- Drexel University School of Law, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Honors: cum laude
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Health and Societies
- Major: English
- “Best Lawyer” in Franchise Law, Best Lawyers® List, 2023
- “Best Lawyer” in Copyright Law, Best Lawyers® List, 2022
- Legal Eagle, Franchise Times Magazine, 2022
- Recipient of “Go-To Thought Leader” Award, The National Law Review, 2021
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Virginia (Pending)
- Colorado Bar Association, 2021-present
- American Bar Association Forum on Franchising, 2020-present
- International Franchise Association, 2020-present